Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Painting With Rain

My kids are outside rain or shine its one of my favorite things about moving from an apartment in the city a few years ago to a house with a yard. This means they get even more excited when I suggest things like 'painting in the rain', its totally process art and SO simple I had my three year old in mind when I suggested it but the older three totally owned this one! A fun project to try on your next rainy day.




You will need:

Paper - water color paper works best
Food coloring
Rain

Step 1

Set a couple of sheets of paper on a tray/cookie sheet


Add a few drops of food coloring, we used two colors on each sheet. As a note its best not to add too much because the rain spreads it really easily and if the food coloring is too thick it will not dry well.



Step 2

Let the rain do the work. The wetter the paper gets the more the colors run and splurge together. Its great for learning color mixing.





The kids quickly realized by tilting the tray they could control the water direction and hence color and pattern of their pictures.










They were getting very pretty





And very wet!


Step 3

Once the paper was covered they brought the pictures inside to dry out. Now I think we will turn them into autumn leaves. I love a good rain day.








No comments:

Post a Comment